Wednesday, July 2

Drinking Coffee After Workout Can Refuel Muscle  

0 tickles / ticked

Muscle Biopsy Image for Coffee Research

Muscle biopsy. (Credit: John Hawley, RMIT University)

Here's another reason to drink coffee especially for those who are active and workout a lot. Add Coffee to your post workout diet and eat carbs! Isn't that weird? I must admit that even as a coffee lover, I'd rather go for something cold like a Gatorade after workout to refuel my body and something like coffee rarely crosses my mind to do that. My heartbeat would still be fast after a workout and I wouldn't want to make it work faster by drinking more caffeine. But this research is convincing and I just might have changed my mind about drinking coffee after a workout. This is taken from the Science Daily:

Glycogen, the muscle's primary fuel source during exercise, is replenished more rapidly when athletes ingest both carbohydrate and caffeine following exhaustive exercise, new research shows. Athletes who ingested caffeine with carbohydrate had 66% more glycogen in their muscles four hours after finishing intense, glycogen-depleting exercise, compared to when they consumed carbohydrate alone, according to the study

"If you have 66% more fuel for the next day's training or competition, there is absolutely no question you will go farther or faster," said Dr. Hawley, the study's senior author. Caffeine is present in common foods and beverages, including coffee, tea, chocolate and cola drinks.

I am now convinced that coffee and yes, chocolate can be part of our diet after a tiring workout. Being a chubby guy, I can't outrun some of the guys who I play basketball with and this research is something I can look forward to in helping me increase my speed (Hopefully even if I've accepted that I was born slow). I will update you the whenever this becomes part of my "workout" all right? Let's see if it works even if it is just works psychologically. Tell me also if this research works for you too. Have a great day everyone!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories